Thursday, January 24, 2013

Learn to Love

There are souls in this world which have the gift of finding joy everywhere and of leaving it behind them when they go.  ~Frederick Faber.     

Less than a year ago, I attended the funeral of a man I never met. (To support someone I care about.) As I listened to the words of the pastor, family, and friends about the life and legacy this man left, it truly challenged my heart. I left that funeral thinking about what I want to leave behind. Not just what I want to leave behind when I die, but on a daily basis. This has been on my mind a lot lately.

The greatest discovery of MY life, is the truth of God's words:
Love never fails. Through the most difficult times of my life, love is what's pushed me through. I've seen it transform lives and change hearts. And I'm talking about real, unconditional, completely accepting, no judgment LOVE. Believe me, I have very strong feelings and beliefs about what's right and what's wrong. But if I let that determine who I love, I miss out on amazing people and the possibility of learning something that may draw me closer to Love.

Loving people, believing in them, being a light, leaving joy behind. THAT'S the legacy I hope to leave. I can only hope that at the end of each day God gives me, I'm able to bless someone. I want to love, to serve, to encourage. Life is so full of struggles. We don't have to seek them out to be faced with them. Challenges just come at us, whether we like it or not. If anyone knows what that's about, it's me! I just want to stay positive and help others find their blessings.

I am so grateful for challenges and opportunities to put love into practice. I've got incredible people surrounding me, ones who encourage me and hold me accountable to my goals. I fail miserably. I don't always have "good" days. But each day is a new opportunity to be a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment