Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Second Best

The other night Derek and I were watching the Miss USA pageant. Not that either of us is really interested, but we watched anyway. We, of course, were hoping Miss Arkansas would go all the way, but she was cut in the first round. So in fun, we each chose another contestant to support. I chose Miss Tennessee and Derek chose Miss (well, now I can't remember). Haa! In the next round, both of our picks made it through. By the third cut, Derek's pick was out!! So I told him to pick another one to see if she could make it to the end. He chose Miss California. Long story short, Miss Tennessee and Miss California were the final two. We waited to hear who would be crowned Miss USA and who would be the runner up. I was completely expecting my girl to win because she had made it all the way through with MY SUPPORT! But when the winner was announced, I was disappointed to find out Derek won! Miss California was crowned! Ugh! How is it that I supported Miss Tennessee all the way and he chose Miss California only half way through and yet he won?!

I know, it seems really silly to look at it that way. But the whole thing made me realize that life is like that. Sometimes no matter how how much we WANT to win or succeed, no matter how HARD we work, we still come up just short of our goals. And it's disappointing. It doesn't make sense how we can give our best through the entire process of trying to obtain a goal and yet still fall short. And when someone else comes in half-way through and can come out ahead of you?! NOT FAIR!!! Even though I may not always win, I'm consistent. I give my best (usually). I've decided that even if I never come out on top, if I never win, that is just fine with me. Because if I give my best here on earth, Jesus promises that it will be worth it. And that is what really counts. Not what man sees, but what God sees. All I have to do is be faithful.

And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Galatians 6:9

And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6

No comments:

Post a Comment