Monday, September 20, 2010

You Just Never Know...

Saturday night my cousin Jonathan died in a four-wheeler accident. He was 23 years old.

I'm not typically one to be affected by death. I can usually cope well and am able to accept the death of a loved one as a part of life that we can't avoid. I've never lost someone that I am very close to, though, so that might make things a little easier for me. However, Jon's death really hit me hard. We weren't close. The most I ever saw him was at Christmas when we were kids and occasionally around town. Maybe it's the fact that he was only a year younger than me.

I'm not sure why his death is so much harder to deal with. I do know that I didn't know him well. I don't know if he had to come to know Jesus as Lord before his life was taken. And that is eating at my heart. Looking back, I don't think I could have said or done anything differently to make sure he heard the name of Jesus. But I am wondering now, 'Who in my life do I need to share Jesus with?' Is my life really a living testimony of what God has done for me? Have I made it clear to everyone I know that Jesus really is Lord and is the only way of salvation?

I was fortunate to learn fairly early in my life that we truly never know if we'll see another tomorrow. We have no idea when our time on earth will be done. And we have no way of knowing when trials and tribulation will come to us. It's so important to make the most of our time here on earth. We need to recognize each moment as a precious gift. It truly is the little things that matter.

God gives us an allotted time to work for Him and we need to do everything we can to make sure we're serving Him. Our ultimate goal in life has already been told to us. Jesus says in Matthew 28: 19 & 20, Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. As God's children, we're suppose to go out into the world and lead others to Christ. We need to make the most of every opportunity that comes our way.

I want to share the truth with the people I love. Hopefully the way I live my life is a great testimony, but I know I'm not perfect. I still sin sometimes. A lot of the time. I just happen to be saved by the glorious grace of Christ and can ask forgiveness when I fail. (That doesn't give me a free pass to do whatever I want, though! I still strive to live a life that glorifies God.)

God is holy. So holy that He cannot tolerate sin. Let me make this clear. We're ALL sinners. God loves each of us, but He HATES when we sin. For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23. So if God cannot tolerate sin, what are the consequences for when we sin? Romans 6:23 says, For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. God has given us a set of standards to meet so that we can have a relationship with Him and be with Him in heaven when this life is finished. Those standards are the Ten Commandments. We already know that we are all sinners and that makes it impossible to live up to those standards. The consequence of sin is eternal death. That's the reality of it. It isn't easy to hear. It may not even be easy to understand. But that IS the Truth.

Here is the good news. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8. Jesus Christ is the SON of God. God loves us SO much that He gave His Son as a sacrifice and atonement for OUR sins. Jesus paid the price for our sins. So how do we receive this gift of love and salvation? Romans 10:9 says, That if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. That's IT! That is ALL we have to do. Confess with our mouth and believe in our heart. If you do that, you are saved from eternal death because Jesus overcame death and paid the price for our sin. Romans 10:13 says it again, For all who call on the name of the Lord will be saved. Did you catch that part that says ALL? Yes. ANYONE who comes to Jesus, confesses and believes, will be saved!

I am pleading with anyone who is reading this, if you don't know Jesus as your Savior, trust in His name. Accept Him for Who He is. The ONLY way to salvation. If you know Jesus but are not living your life in a way that glorifies and honors Him, confess your sins and turn your eyes back to Him. He GAVE you life. Give Him the credit. As I have been reminded from Jon's unexpected death, life is short. You may not have the opportunity to surrender to Jesus tomorrow. Don't wait until it's too late.




For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16





No comments:

Post a Comment